The de Groot Foundation
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Apply for Courage to Write & Lando Grants
Need a motivational boost to further a writing project? The de Groot Foundation COURAGE to WRITE Grants are designed to do just that!
- In 2023, The de Groot Foundation will award seven COURAGE to WRITE grants of $7,000 each to writers writing in any genre and three $7,000 LANDO grants to writers exploring immigrant/refugee issues and experiences.
- In addition, the selection committee will select up to 10 additional writers for Writer of Note grants of $1,500 each.
Applications are now open and will close February 15, 2023.
Who Should Apply
- We welcome applications from adult writers actively engaged in a writing project and for whom a monetary boost could help further or complete their project. COURAGE to WRITE applicants may be writing in any genre. LANDO grants are for writers exploring the immigrant/refugee issues, challenges and solutions.
- Applications are open to individual adult writers regardless of race, ethnicity, gender orientation, education, economic situation, geographic origin or location.
- Applicants must be individuals. Companies or organization are not eligible.
- Applicants must be over 18 years of age at the time of the application deadline.
- Applicants must use their legal name, not a pen name.
- Applications are not open to family, members of the board or employees of the The de Groot Foundation, Lando family members or the selection committee.
- Applications must be submitted in English.
- If you received a Courage to Write grant in 2022, you must wait until 2024 to apply again.
- If you received a Writer of Note grant in 2022, you are eligible apply for a grant in 2023.
How to apply
- Applications are made through the Submittable platform.
- You will be able to check a box to indicate which grant you are applying for: A Courage to Write Grant or a LANDO grant.
Your application is a bio sketch and another single document that includes your letter of application and writing sample. Prepare the following before you start to submit:
- A brief bio sketch of up to 120 words – this will be inserted into the application form.
- Your letter of application* (1-4 pages) which must include:
- An introduction to the writing project for which you are seeking support. (1 to 3 paragraphs)
- How this project is important. (1 or 2 paragraphs)
- How the grant will be helpful to you at this time. (1 – 2 paragraphs)
- Anything else you would like us to know about you as a writer and your project. (1-2 paragraphs)
- Five pages* of a current, unpublished writing project. Do not submit previously published writing.
*Please upload your letter of application and the five pages of a current writing project as a single document. You will submit your application through the Submittable platform, which you will be directed to below. Please make sure your document is ready to send before uploading. Once you have submitted an application, you are unable to change it.
- Use Times New Roman 12-point font and double space your application document.
- Poetry and plays are an exception and can be submitted single-spaced.
- The application reading fee of $22.00 will be paid through the Submittable platform at the time that you submit.
- APPLICATIONS for COURAGE to WRITE and LANDO grants close on February 15, 2023 at midnight PST.